Monday, May 14, 2012

Recipe: Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Hazelnut Cookies

My love came home from a long trip this weekend and I wanted to make something special for his return.  While I must say he has it pretty good eating all the leftover cookies I make, these are full of chocolate chunks and make an excellent afternoon snack!  Here's how it's done.

  

Ingredients (recipe adapted from here)

115g or 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
125g or 2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
50g whole wheat flour
45g all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
120g or 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup hazelnuts, roasted, chopped and skins removed
1/2 cup dark chocolate, chopped

In a bowl mix together flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

In the bowl of a mixer cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy then add the egg and vanilla.  Slowly add the flour mixture until well incorporated.  Add the oatmeal, hazelnuts and chocolate and mix a bit to fully incorporate.


TIP ▶ I find it easier to chop up chocolate in a piece of parchment so that all the tiny bits of chocolate don't fly all over.  It also makes transfer to the bowl super easy.


TIP ▶ Be sure to remove the bitter skins of the roasted hazelnuts before you chop 'em up.  I made the mistake of doing it after and it took A LONG TIME to try and remove them.


Once the dough is ready I placed it in the fridge for about 5 hours since I wasn't ready to bake them just yet, then I scooped them into large balls and spread them out on the baking sheet.

The cookies are baked for 14 mins in a preheated oven at 180°C / 350°F.


TIP ▶ Once I take the baking sheet out of the oven, I flatten the tops with a spatula so they spread out just a bit.

It is important to let the cookies cool so they get nice and crispy but still chewy on the inside.


Happy Cookie Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment